For more information about W. Eugene Smith and his work please refer to:
- Trachtenberg, Alan and Sam Stephenson, ed. Dream Street: W. Eugene Smith’s Pittsburgh Project. New York, NY: W. W. Norton and Company, 2003
- Mora, Gilles. W. Eugene Smith: Photographs 1934-1975. New York, NY:(Harry N. Abrams, 1998.
- Maddow, Ben. Let Truth Be the Prejudice: W. Eugene Smith: His Life and Photographs. New York, NY: Aperture, 1985.
- William S. Johnson, ed. W. Eugene Smith: Master of the Photographic Essay. New York, NY: Aperture, 1981.
- Willumson, Glenn Gardner. W. Eugene Smith and the Photographic Essay. New York, NY: Cambridge University Press, 1992.
- Hughes, Jim. W. Eugene Smith: Shadow and Substance: The Life and Work of an American Photographer. New York, NY: McGraw-Hill, 1989.
- Smith, W. Eugene and Aileen M. Smith. Minamata: Words and Photographs. New York, NY: Holt, Rinehart and Winston, 1975.
- W. Eugene Smith, His Photographs and Notes. New York, NY: Aperture, 1969.